How to Convert NSF to PST Without Lotus Notes
Summary: Most users want to know how to convert NSF to PST without IBM Notes. There is no method available for that. However, there is a professional solution that only requires Lotus Notes installation. You do not need to perform complicated steps in IBM Lotus Notes to convert file format.
Lotus Notes (currently known as HCL Notes) is a popular email client developed by IBM. It provides numerous features for managing your email account. Moreover, you can also access your contacts, and calendars through this utility.
Despite these features, most users switch to other email providers for managing their email accounts. The best alternative to IBM Notes is MS Outlook; it provides you with all the features of Lotus Notes with an interactive UI. Also, it is comparatively easier to configure your email account settings in Outlook than in Notes.
Before directly jumping to the procedure of NSF to PST conversion, let us have a look at why users need to switch from Notes to Outlook.
Why Convert NSF to PST File Format?
When you backup your mailbox data from Lotus Notes, it gets saved in NSF file format. On the other hand, Outlook creates a mailbox backup as a PST file. Therefore, converting the NSF file to PST file format means changing your Lotus Notes backup to an Outlook backup file. Now, let us know why it is needed.
- Outlook has a more robust server than IBM Notes. So, the chances of the server crash are low.
- Another significant reason for selecting Outlook is that you can manage multiple email accounts simultaneously through it.
- Lotus Notes is comparatively more expensive than Outlook.
- Outlook offers an interactive user interface that allows users to easily navigate through the email client and use its features.
These are the most common reasons for preferring Outlook over Lotus Notes. Now, it is time to learn how we can convert NSF to PST.
Also Read: How to Perform Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration?
How to Export NSF to PST File Format
There is no direct method to convert NSF to PST without Lotus Notes. The two major approaches (manual and professional) require Lotus Notes installed and configured in your system. However, the professional NSF to PST Converter only requires the installation of IBM Notes. You do not have to perform complicated steps in this email client.
Now, let us explore both approaches to changing the IBM Notes files to Outlook backup files.
#1. Manual Method for Lotus Notes to Outlook Migration
The manual method is a free solution. It requires you to have IBM Lotus Notes and MS Outlook installed on your PC. The complete procedure is divided into three parts. First, you have to export Lotus Notes emails as CSV files. After that, you need to import that CSV to Outlook and at last, export that mailbox item into your system in PST file format.
#1. Export IBM Notes NSF Files to CSV Format
- Launch the IBM Notes application in your system.
- Click on the File option and press the Open
- Now, locate the desired NSF file and press the Open button.
- After the file gets opened, click on the File option from the top menu.
- Select the Export option from the list.
- After that, define the saving location and assign a suitable name to the mailbox file.
- Select Comma Separated Value in the Save as Type option and click on the Export button.
- Now, choose the desired options and press the OK button to save the mailbox in CSV file format.
#2. Import CSV File to MS Outlook
- Open the Outlook application and click on the File button.
- In the Open & Export tab, select the Import/Export option.
- Now, the Import and Export wizard will appear. Choose the Import from another program or file option. Click Next.
- After that, choose the Comma Separated Value option. Press Next.
- Now, press the Browse button and add the desired CSV file. Click on the Next button.
- Choose the Outlook mailbox folder for saving the imported file. Click Next to proceed further.
- At last, click on the Finish button to start the import.
#3. Download Imported file as PST File
- After importing the CSV file, click on the File button.
- Now, choose the Open & Export tab and select the Import/Export option.
- After that, opt for the Export to a file option and hit the Next button.
- Select the Outlook data file (.pst) and click on the Next button.
- Now, select the mailbox folder containing Lotus Notes emails and click Next.
- At last, click Browse to define the destination for the file and hit the Finish button.
After following all the above steps carefully, you can efficiently migrate your mailbox data. However, technical expertise is required to perform the above steps. Therefore, this manual solution is not suitable for non-technical users. The ideal approach for them is the professional NSF to PST Converter.
#2. Professional Solution to Convert NSF to PST File Format
CloudMigration NSF to PST Converter is the best solution to convert NSF to Outlook PST file format. Using this utility, you can export NSF to PST and many other file formats. The professional software allows you to migrate NSF files to different email providers. Moreover, It provides you with various features to customize the file conversion as per your requirement.
Prerequisites to Use the Application
- IBM Notes installation and configuration are necessary although you do not need to perform any step for conversion.
- Defining the Path Variable to the root folder of IBM Lotus Notes is required to add the NSF files.
Features of CloudMigration NSF to PST Converter
- The tool can convert multiple NSF files simultaneously. You can add as many IBM Notes NSF files as you want.
- Display the preview of the selected file content in a hierarchical tree structure.
- Along with PST, the tool provides multiple file conversion options like EML, MSG, PDF, HTML, DOC, etc.
- You can also migrate your NSF file to email clients like Office 365, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc.
- It provides you with the date range mail filtering feature to migrate only necessary items.
- Remove Duplicate emails and disable encryption from emails if any.
How Does the NSF to PST Converter Work?
- Download and install the application. Run it as administrator.
- Press the Select File button at the top left corner.
- Choose the desired file you want to convert and click Open.
- After that, check the file preview and tick the desired items. Then press the Next button.
- Next, choose the PST file format from the list and select other options as per your requirement.
- At last, define the destination path and click on the Convert button to convert NSF to PST file format.
After reading the complete article, it can be concluded that you can not directly convert NSF to PST without IBM Notes. However, using the professional approach, it becomes easier to change the file format as it does not require complicated steps to be performed through the Lotus Notes application.